CAREAPP Resources for Movement and Physical Activity
CAREAPP is a Howard County Health Department program that connects County residents to community programs and services, including resources for food, health, housing, transportation, education, employment assistance, and more.
Please click the following link to access the CAREAPP free and reduced cost physical activity list: Reduced Cost or Free Movement and Exercise Programs.
Movement & Physical Activity Resources
LHIC strives to engage community members of all age groups in healthy physical activities by promoting movement.
- Healthy Holiday Activity Tips
- Movement & Exercise Activity Flyer - Winter 2024
- Movement & Exercise Activity Flyer - Spring and Summer 2023
- Howard County Physical Activity - Organized Youth Activity Guide *Updated 2021.12.13
- Columbia Association Events Calendar
- Historic Walking Tours of Howard County
- Howard County Library System Events Calendar
- Howard County Office on Aging and Independence Exercise Resources
- Maryland State Parks Resources
- Move Your Way Resources to Promote Physical Activity
- Patapsco Valley State Park
Walk & Bike to School Resources
The LHIC wants to increase physical activity among Howard County Youth by increasing awareness of and access to resources in the community. One fun and healthy way for kids to get active is to walk or bike to school.
- Action for Healthy Kids - Walk to School
- Bike Train Program
- Columbia Association New Walking Areas and Trails Profiles
- Complete Connections - A Guide to Building Equitable Bike Networks
- Go Howard
- One Step at a Time: Walking to School Can Benefit Your Child and
the Whole Community
- Safe Routes to School
- Walk Audit Tool Kit from AARP Livable Communities
- Walk, Bike, & Roll to School
- Walk to School Staples
- Walking School Bus Guide
- We Can! (Ways to Enhance Children's Activity & Nutrition)®
Howard County Recreation and Parks
1-Mile Howard County Park Walking & Moving Maps
* Created by HCHD in collaboration with HC Dept.of Recreation and Parks in August 2021
Howard County Complete Streets Implementation Projects
Complete Streets are streets for everyone. They are designed and operated to enable safe access for all users, including pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists and transit riders of all ages and abilities. Complete Streets make it easy to cross the street, walk to shops, and bicycle to work.
To learn more about Howard County Complete Streets Project, please visit Howard County Dept. of Transportation.
Howard County Strategic Road Safety Plan
The Howard County Strategic Road Safety Plan serves as a roadmap to guide county policies and actions to reduce the number of traffic-related crashes, injuries, and fatalities using a comprehensive and strategic approach.
To learn more about Howard County's Strategic Road Safety Plan, please visit Howard County Dept. of Transportation.
Maryland Pedestrian Safety Action Plan
Maryland is committed to eliminating traffic-related serious injuries and fatalities, a strategy known as Vision Zero. Federal, state, and local agencies are working together with the public to review safety, identify strategies to reduce crashes, and enhance livability for Marylanders.
To learn more about The Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administration (MDOT SHA) Pedestrian Safety Action Plan, please visit MDOT SHA.
Howard County Walktober Page
Join the LHIC and partners for a month of walk and move events in October called Howard County Walktober. Walking is Maryland's official exercise, so lets get moving!
If you plan to host a walk event and would like to add it to the Howard County Walktober Calendar Events page, please email LHIC@howardcountymd.gov.
Walk Maryland Day is October 2, 2024
The Howard County community is encouraged to make walking a regular habit.